Friday, August 12, 2011

Names from my past

I thought I'd start out with a list of surnames in my family tree. This will give you an idea of my areas of research. Of course, the further back you look, the more names there are, so I've limited this list to about 5 generations (which still contain some gaps). The list is split up by which side of my family the names are on, and then alphabetised.

My paternal side, which is pretty much entirely French Canadian:
  • Bard
  • Daineault
  • Deshaies
  • Ducharme
  • Gagne
  • Lavoie
  • Levasseur
  • Ouellet
  • Paradis
  • Richard
  • Voyer
My maternal side, which is English, Scottish, and Swedish:
  • Angus
  • Aspinal
  • Fretwell
  • Jackson
  • Johnson
  • Pehrsson/Peterson*
  • Prince
  • Watts
If you are researching any of these surnames, I'd love to know about it! Leave a comment, or message me directly through my Contact Me page.

*Note: My great great grandmother, Alice Peterson, Anglicised her father's last name, Pehrsson. However, Nils Pehrsson was Swedish, so his father's name was not Pehrsson, but Pehr Andersson. I'll do a post on Scandinavian naming conventions later, but for now I just wanted to point out that with Swedish ancestry it's not as simple as tracing a surname.

5 comments:

  1. Hello there!

    You’ve got a great genealogy blog and we’ve added it to the list of over 2,000 genealogy blogs at GeneaBloggers (http://www.geneabloggers.com).

    We will announce your blog in our weekly New Genealogy Blogs on Saturday, August 13, 2011. In the meantime, please visit the About ( http://www.geneabloggers.com/about/) section at GeneaBloggers to learn how you can display your GeneaBloggers badge on your blog and also how you can participate in activities such as the Daily Blogging Prompts. If you need technical assistance, please check out Bootcamp for GeneaBloggers (http://fbbootcamp.blogspot.com).

    Don’t forget to tune in to GeneaBloggers Radio – a live 90-minute Internet radio show each Friday evening! http://www.blogtalkradio.com/geneabloggers/

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lianne,
    Welcome to the Geneablogging community.
    I also have French-Canadian ancestors on my paternal side, Gagne and Richard are two of the names I am researching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This was an interesting discovery upon turning on my computer. I didn't think anyone would even have seen my blog yet! Thanks so much for the welcomes and information. :)

    Earline, thanks for the comment! I look forward to reading your blog and seeing what you've discovered about your French-Canadian ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also have Ducharme in our family history.
    You can see what I have at rootsweb worldconnect database name: tcasteel
    go to Index > ducharme
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi TCasteel. I didn't see any names from my tree in yours, which could be because I don't have much on the Ducharmes in my family. My great great grandmother was Arthemise Ducharme, and her father was George Ducharme. There's also a Marie Reine Ducharme elsewhere in my tree, who I think may be related to the other ones. But that's all I've got. It is one of the names I've been looking into lately, though, so hopefully I'll make a discovery!

    ReplyDelete