Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Photo scanning adventures!

I got a photo scanner! Actually, I got it a couple of weeks ago, and just hadn't gotten around to finishing this post until now. :) In the past, I've only had a three-in-one printer, so I didn't do any large-scale scanning of old photographs and whatnot. But now, I have the Epson Perfection V330 Photo Scanner. And oh baby, I'm gettin' my scan on.

So far, my only complaint is speed. If I'm scanning a fairly large picture at a fairly high DPI (dots per inch), I have to wait for several minutes for each picture. It seems like the actual scanning happens pretty quickly, but then it takes forever for it to create the file, or whatever it's doing after the scanner stops buzzing. Also, the .tif files take up a tonne of space.

On the other hand, take a look at this:


This is a scan of a very small, very old picture (around WWI). And it looks freaking amazing. The man in the back row, second from the right, is my great grandfather, Leslie Austin Angus.

No comments:

Post a Comment