Thursday, November 10, 2011

Veterans' Week - Joseph Carmel Lavoie

The veteran of the day in my family tree today is Joseph Carmel (J.C.) Lavoie.

J.C. (often called "The Major") was my great grandfather. He was born on February 15, 1878, in Quebec, the son of Jean-Baptiste and Philomene (Gagne) Lavoie.
J.C. fought in World War I. Unlike the other people I've profiled this week, he was a professional soldier, not a farmer that went to fight for the war. At the time of the war he already had military experience, and had the rank of lieutenant.

Luckily for me, J.C. survived the war, came home to his wife, Alice Bard, and had 8 children, including my grandfather, Louis. J.C. died on November 2, 1960, in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Well, that about wraps up Veterans' Week for me, since I think I've run out of relatives who fought in a war, at least that I know of. I seem to recall that my grandfather, Louis Lavoie, fought in WWII, but I have not yet done the necessary research to find any records related to that. (It's a bit harder to get records for people who lived through WWII.)

As always, feel free to share links in the comments if you've written posts this week about your veteran relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment